New Mexico FFA members, it's time to start practicing for the NMF&LB's Young Farmers & Ranchers Program discussion meet. Discussion meets will be held regionally this year, winnowing down to 20 contestants competing at #NMFLBAnnMeet19 on Friday, November 22, in Albuquerque. Here are last year's final four contestants and the winner, Truett Shafer, received a check for $1,000 sponsored by Farm Credit of New Mexico, ACA. Want to win? Here are the questions so you can study.
Young Farmers & Ranchers 2020 Discussion Meet Questions
1. How can Farm Bureau build upon collaborative relationships such as Farm Town Strong to combat nationwide crises such as opioid dependence/addiction and mental health issues?
2. Products like cell-based food products have demonstrated the food system is rapidly changing. How can future food technologies and related products be beneficially integrated into modern agricultural production without hampering the success of traditional products and the farmers and ranchers who grow them?
3. The customer is always right. How do farmers and ranchers think and respond, through the lens of consumer priorities and marketing trends, to build common values and confidence in modern production methods to build consumer acceptance?
4. With abundant productivity, farmers are in need of new markets, including outside traditional food and feed channels. How do we develop, invest and commercialize to innovate new uses of agricultural products and by-products to benefit all of agriculture?
5. The 21st-century agricultural economy is threatened by labor shortages. Without a clear solution for accessing foreign guest workers as a component of immigration reform coming from Congress, what are some creative and legal ways for agriculture to address the labor needs of a modern production system?
These questions will be used for the YF&R Discussion Meet held during AFBF Annual Convention in Austin, Texas and the Collegiate Discussion Meet held during the YF&R Leadership Conference in Louisville, Kentucky.