Corona Virus Aid to Ag

Corona Virus Aid to Ag

Beginning May 26, the United States Department of Agriculture will begin accepting applications from food producers who have suffered losses due to the coronavirus pandemic.  The Coronavirus Food Assistance Program was authorized by congress to provide relief to farmers, ranchers and dairy producers in this time of disruption.  Sixteen billion dollars of direct payments will be sent to livestock producers, farmers of row crops such as corn, cotton and sorghum, and those growing specialty crops such as onions, lettuce and pecans.  Payments will go to producers that have experienced a 5% or more price loss and are capped at $250,000 per individual. Eligible producers will receive a prorated payment to ensure all producers have access to funds so that the initial allocation will be for 80% of the total payment.  The second installation will cover the remaining 20% if funds are still available. Applications will be processed by local Farm Service Agencies and the form can be found at www.farmers.gov.